Re: Oracle's client internals

From: R Scott Hunter <RSHUNTER_at_delphi.com>
Date: Tue, 28 DEC 93 12:21:48 EST

Mike Winters brought up whether OCI would be faster than Pro*C. It's my impression that Oracle wants to discourage people from using the OCI interface, a position with which I agree strongly. OCI is very machine dependent and seems to be subject to constant change between releases/versions. I was very thankful that we don't have any OCI code after going through the V7 documentation and seeing all the gyrations I'd have to go through to keep OCI-based software working under V7 from 6.0.37.
I wouldn't think any gain in speed would be worth the sacrifices in portability and maintainability that you make to use OCI. *----

R. Scott Hur. DBA	Email to: shunter_at_cfotax.attmail.com
AT&T Tax Services Company	Morristown, NJ
*/All opinions are my own unless explicitly indicated otherwise /* Received on Tue Dec 28 1993 - 18:21:48 CET

Original text of this message