Re: How To Trigger extern process from Oracle v7

From: Magnus Lonnroth <mloennro_at_se.oracle.com>
Date: 22 Dec 93 10:09:16 GMT

  Michael> I believe that I had heard that you can use a trigger to do   Michael> a 'system()' call in Oracle v7.

No, you can't do that.

  Michael> I am on SunOS. Does anyone know if this is true and if so   Michael> where it is documented.

  Michael> Any example code of this would be great.

  Michael> Thanks

  Michael> Mike Frank

If you have Oracle7 with the procedural option, you can use the dbms_pipe or dbms_alert packages to communicate with another Oracle client. This could be a Pro*C program, that may invoke system() on behalf of the calling procedure.

A better option will be available in the near future. It is called the Procedural Gateway Developer's Kit. It enables you to write your own C-functions, and build a "gateway" where your functions are mapped to "virtual" PL/SQL procedures or functions in the gateway. From another Oracle7 server, these C-functions can then be invoked by calling the "virtual" procedures in the gateway as if they were normal remote procedures.

The Procedural Gateway Developer's Kit is undergoing Beta-testing on SunOS. It will probably be released within a few months.

hope this helps,

--

Magnus Lonnroth
Tech.Sales & Consultant