Re: Help needed mac to sun client server config

From: <mannhart_at_zuv.unizh.ch>
Date: Tue, 21 Dec 1993 07:37:18 GMT

jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com (jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com) wrote:
: In article <1993Dec15.123811.1_at_uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au>, ccloretta_at_uqvax.cc.uq.oz.au (Loretta Davis, Prentice Centre, Uni of Queensland) writes:
: > Sorry if this is against netiquette to post asking for help - but if some kind
: > sould is willing to take a couple of minutes to answer some questions - I'd
: > greatly appreciate it.
: >
: > I'm trying to set up some macs to run in a client-server congig - the machines
: > are mac centris 600 and 650 running system 7. We are trying to serve from a
: > sparc 4/470 running sunos 4.1.1.
: >
: > Our version of oracle on the server is 7.0.12 - we have sqlnet version 2 and or
: > macs are running v2 oracle.
: >
: > Basically what I'm after is a list of what files should be located where for
: > this to work. After several frustrating hours of reading bits and pieces in
: > about 7 different manuals - unfortunately I'm none the wiser. I can happily
: > work with the mac version or the server version of oracle - I just can't get
: > them to talk to each other!!
: >
: > Does anyone have a cheat's guide on how to do this? Any advice or pointers
: > would be greatly appreciated.
: >
: > Cheers,
: > Loretta... (trying to play oracle dba without much experience)
: >
: It's definitely not against the rules. This is exactly what these newsgroups
: are for.

: I'll describe what we have set up, and maybe it will help you.

: I haven't been brave enough to start using SQL*Net V2 yet, but everything
: should be the same.

: You don't say what protocol you are using. I'll assume TCP/IP. If you use
: something different, the specifics will change.

: On the Mac:
: - Install SQL*Net following the installation instructions
: - SQL*Net comes with a TCP/IP driver called TCPort, or something like
: that. We use MAC-tcp, so I remove the TCPort control panel.
: - Install some type of product that uses SQL*Net (DataBrower,
: DataPrism, Clear Access, etc.)

: On the Sun:
: - modify the /etc/services file to define the port that ORACLE will
: listen on.
: orasrv 1525/tcp
: - Use orainst to install SQL*Net and the TCP/IP driver
: - startup up the tcp/ip listener using the command
: % tcpctl start
:
: This is rather brief, and I may have left some stuff out, but I hope it helps.

: --
: Bob Swisshelm | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com | 317 276 5472
: Eli Lilly and Company | Lilly Corporate Center | Indianapolis, IN 46285

A few additional hints:

On the sun:

       make shure orasrv starts up correctly i.e. the oracle/bin directory
         is in the PATH variable of the user who starts orasrv (as this
         is not normally the case for the root user if You start up orasrv
         in /etc/rc.local)

On the mac:
       make shure You have the oracle system extension installed.
       make shure You have set the oracle home folder correctly
         (via the program "Set ORACLE Home")
       make the net aliases (via the "Server Manager" program or by editing
         the config.ora file). If You set up an alias
             local=T:130.60.220.10:tsev
         You can start-up SQL*Plus on the mac and You're connected to
         the sun by default (change the IP-address and oracle-s_id
         accordingly, T stands for TCP/IP)

Good luck
LM

--