Re: Sequent PTX Oracle7 stability

From: Clay Jackson <cjackso_at_uswnvg.com>
Date: 18 Dec 93 05:02:50 GMT

: I'm interested in this also. We're now in the process of
: setting up a new Sequent with Oracle. Installation has
: not been a joy, but I'd like to hear from those that have
: the product up and running.

: What have been your experiences with the product?
We've been running Oracle on Sequent for about 3 years now. We started on 6.0.27 or thereabouts (at least that's when I showed up), and I'm in the throes of a 7.0.15 migration even as I type this.

: Is it less/more stable than other releases of oracle or other database packages?
Dunno about 7.0.15, since we've only had a bit of experience with it. In general, Oracle7 (to use the 'pc' term, rather than 'V7') seems to be more stable than Oracle6. Certainly, under heavy load (>5K SQL calls/sec), V7 seems to be holding up OK - I wouldn't even TRY that kind of loading under V6. I do know from talking to the Oracle guys that the Oracle7 testing was MUCH more intensive than Oracle6, and, in general, it shows. The problems we HAVE found (some with the version of PL/SQL in Forms) have been in component products other than the base kernel, if that's any comfort.

: How was the installation process?

In all honesty, the Oracle Installer is a piece of trash. They need to go back to the Oracle6 days when the installation programs were shell scripts. At least then, when something went wrong, you could LOOK at the code and figure out what to fix. We have now done 5 machines (updated from Oracle6 and/or installed Oracle7 new) and maybe 8 database instances, and I can't honestly say that installer has worked the way we expected even ONCE. I imagine if you have a SIMPLE, one instance shop that is 100% OFA compliant, and you take ALL of the Oracle recommended defaults, things might work. Beyond that, you're on your own.

I guess the biggest problem I have with it is that when it does do something unexpected, there is often not a CLUE as to WHY it did what it did. For example, earlier tonight, I told installer to update a 7.0.13 database to 7.0.15 - when it got done and I brought up SQL*DBA, it was still 7.0.13. It was obvious from the log that in fact NOTHING had been updated, but there was no clue as to which one of about 30 questions we answered "wrong". Another example - The other day, we told it to UPDATE DATABASE OBJECTS ONLY. At several places along the way, it asks if you want to "Update existing objects" or "Create new objects". For Reportwriter we said "Update Existing Objects". Then, (even after you've TOLD it you want to update, NOT create) it asks "Load ReportWriter tables" and DEFAULTS to "Yes" WRONG - we blew away every report in the system (fortunately, we had both and export and the rex files).

: How often in the past have you needed to patch and/or upgrade your operating system and Oracle DBMS?
Not really all that often (maybe 2 times/year average) over the long haul. However, we've put in a couple of patches now for Oracle7. We like to TRY to get to a stable release and stay there.

--
Clay Jackson - N7QNM			These are my own personal ramblings.
US WEST NewVector Group Inc		and DO NOT reflect the views or