Slow Oracle export

From: Lionel Lee Yuin <lionell_at_solomon.technet.sg>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 1993 07:11:09 GMT

Hi,

We are running Oracle 7.0.13 on Solaris 2.2. Recently, we discovered that our export was taking an extremely loooooonnnnng time to complete (8-9 hrs).

A test database of 4M exported file size took 1 min to complete but the production database of 157M exported file size took 8 to 9 hrs to complete. In short, though the difference in exported file size is 40 times, the timing difference is 480 times.

After much investigation and establishing that the culprit database does not show any "unhealthy" init.ora parameters, the Oracle Tech Support feedback is :

(1) The initial DB block size of 2K was too small resulting in the high
fileio encountered in the production export.....implying that we can solve our problem by re-creating our DB with a bigger block size.

(2) We are constrained by the hardware I/O mechanism.

(3) Our log files of 500K is too small

I would like to enquire if anyone of you has such a problem and how it can be best resolved.

Please email me directly at limsc_at_solomon.technet.sg.

Thanks & Rgds Received on Fri Dec 17 1993 - 08:11:09 CET

Original text of this message