Re: vc++ & oracle

From: Robert J. McCallister <rjmac_at_crl.com>
Date: 16 Dec 1993 22:06:09 -0800

Chui Chee Kong (cheekong_at_iss.nus.sg) wrote:
: I was told that vc++ can be used with oracle on microsoft windows on PC,
: but I have encountered the following problems,
: will be grateful if someone can help me up!

: VC++ (visual c++) has to be run on extended mode, but oracle is
: running on standard mode.
: so what we had done is that: we compile the programs in vc++ on
: extended mode. quit from vc++ and then run the exe on standard mode.
: but protection fault is reported ...

: have anyone tried to use microsoft visual c++ with oracle? will
: appreciate if you can share the experiment with us.

: Thank you.

: chee kong
: internet: cheekong_at_iss.nus.sg

I do not have an answer, but the following might help or at least add some confusion about the standard vs extended modes.

We were told when we asked Oracle the standard vs extended question that the only way we could use data in an Oracle table was in extended mode in a client server environment using SQL*Net for Windows. We currently are running SQL*Net for DOS and this limits our running Oracles Forms for WIndows, Menu for Windows, & SQLPlus for Windows in extended mode.

However, the funny thing is we also run an application "Clear Access", which is a really great front end to Oracle, and it is a Windows application that runs in extended mode and brings back all the data we want from our "Oracle" database. Seems kind of strange that someone else can do it but Oracle cannot, that is run in extended mode.

|  Robert J. McCallister    |                                     |
|  rjmac_at_crl.com            |        THIS SPACE FOR RENT          |
|  RJM Software Engineering |                                     |
|                           |  Tilde: That little squiggly line.  |