Re: Problems with MS Access and ORACLE V7

From: Rich Cannon <Rich.Cannon_at_ColumbiaSC.NCR.COM>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 14:50:08 GMT

We have successfully attached our Oracle ODBC drivers (shipped with Access) to Oracle 7.0.13. Some of the things you must do in order to set this up the first time:

  1. Install MS Access 1.1
  2. Make sure your ora6win.dll in the \windows\system directory is dated 10/28/92 or later. (usually the 4/15/92 dll is shipped and will not work).
  3. Get the file ora110.exe from ftp.microsoft.com. This file updates the some of the oracle dll's as of 9/93.
  4. Make sure your copy of SQL*Net for Windows is 1.1.7.7B (1.1.7.7C) does not work and many earlier versions also have problems with memory allocation. This can be purchased from Oracle.
  5. Check your autoexec.bat file and make sure the last two lines look like this:

Config_files=(oracle bin directory)
Config=

This is important especially if you have Dos 6.0 (which I also recommend, but is not necessary).

6. Make sure that the OEM to ANSI characters is checked in the ODBC setup, and that no code page translators are setup.

By the way, has anyone else seen the Beta version of Microsoft Query utilizing ODBC. It works great, I am very impressed with what I see and can't wait to get my hands on it for everyone in my organization.

  • Rich Cannon -- AT&T/NCR CSM&D Columbia *
  • DUKE '92 -- Now an Oracle Hostage *