Re: Oracle6 - Memory Problem

From: Operator <claudeg_at_sunfish.sunfish>
Date: 16 Dec 93 17:02:01

In article <Yh3VKIG00iV1I5ILEZ_at_andrew.cmu.edu> Janet Cohen <jc6n+_at_andrew.cmu.edu> writes:

   Is there a FAQ or FTP site to help with PC memory configuration and Oracle?

   We're running Oracle 6 on a Novell Server. Our PC's used to be    configured with only himem.sys. Because of other software packages, we    now must use emm386. The Oracle Tools installed are the ones that use    extended memory.

   I changed the machine_type in config.ora to J.    I'm able to connect to the database and run SQLPlus, but can't run    SQLForms or Reports - get an "out of extended memory" error.

   The machines have 16M RAM, 1024 configured as expanded, the rest    extended. I tried increasing the expanded, and that didn't help. In    config.ora, I tried setting dynamic_memory to the minimum, and also    tried setting the real_memory option so that the sqlforms and sqlreports    would use conventional memory.

   Do I need a different machine type in config.ora? Do I need to    reinstall the tools, using the ones in \bin, rather than \pbin? Any    other options?

   Thanks for any help. - Janet

Hi Janet;

        I found that configuring memory on a PC for Oracle V6 is alot of fun.

I suggest you try the following for your configuration:

  1. Set dynamic_memory=8000. Try higher rather than lower.
  2. When you set machine type to J (if you have it) try using QEMM it seems to do better than the other *emms. Use the loadhi feature.
  3. TSR's and device drivers like SCSI drivers have frequently interfered causing the types of messages you're getting. Back them out if you can. In other words this message sometimes happens when real memory is short rather than extended or expanded.

Hope this helps. If not e-mail me direct and we can try others.

Claude Garelik
Rational Systems Inc.
220 N. Main St.
Natick, Ma. 01760
claudeg_at_ratsys.com
508-653-6006 Received on Thu Dec 16 1993 - 17:02:01 CET

Original text of this message