Re: Need DB Browser Suggestions

From: Jennifer R. Amon <bamon_at_ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu>
Date: 16 Dec 1993 20:32:27 GMT

>Actualy I'm interested in hearing other peoples response on the above
>issues. I'm not sure if there're any tool that adress all of our concerns.
>I have seen different tools that solve a few of the problems.
>
>Final note: I think the biggest problem of exposing users to massive
>amount of data is the potential for user miss-interpretation of the
>data. For example, after exposing the users to our database, we found
>that some users were mis-interpreting the columns and tables and
>issuing wrong queries. Basing critical decisions on these results
>can be very harmful. User training is the key!

Well, I responded privately, but I'll post my response here, too.

>Our company will be evaluating end-user browser utilities
>for Oracle. I've seen Oracle Browser and I am impressed.
>Are there any other packages that anyone could suggest
>that would be good for novice end-users? Any help would
>be appreciated.
>
>Thanks in advance!
>Mike Tuason
>Cleveland Clinic Foundation

Mike,

My experience has been that many of the point & click tools for data browsing are similar. They all seem to have one thing in common, and that is that the user must know where the data is. He must know the underlying structure of the database.

If your database is simple, this works fine. If it is complex, however, you may want to consider a Natural Language query tool. That would allow your users to ask questions of the database in English. The tool then translates the English to SQL and passes it to the database. The underlying database structure can be completely hidden from the user.

We use Natural Language, from Natural Language, Inc. in Berkeley. It is setup-intensive, but very flexible, and VERY user friendly.

Queries can be saved AND parameterized.

Jennifer R. Amon            PHONE: (216) 775-6987
Houck Computing Center        FAX: (216) 775-8573
Oberlin College
Oberlin, OH 44074        INTERNET: bamon_at_ocvaxc.cc.oberlin.edu