Re: Oracle vs Sybase

From: Francis Wang <wangf_at_interaccess.com>
Date: 16 Dec 1993 17:38:34 GMT

Carl Hoang (Carl.Hoang_at_f31.n282.z1.tdkt.mn.org) wrote:
: I'm evaluating these 2 RDBMS, Oracle and Sybase, for the Clinical Repository
: system. The system is running with multiple servers and clients. Servers are
: on AIX and clients are on Windows. Tons of information with regular data types
: and image and may be sound. Can someone give me any comments on these 2
: products. Which one should I pick? Thanks for any input.
:
: Carl Hoang carl.hoang_at_tdkt.mn.org

I've worked with both DBMS in the past. Sound like you're looking for a system that has good multi-media support and distributed database. Oracle has a very strong direction and technology toward these two areas. Centainly Sybase will do the job well also. However, for repository type of application, I would always recommand Oracle because of its non-blocking and row-locking access. Oracle also has a much richer set of SQL syntex. Administrating an Oracle database is much more complicated than Sybase.

Disclaimer: This is only my 2 cents. I really need to have a lot more info to give any kind of sane advise.

Francis Wang, Consultant
Intertech Associates, Inc. Received on Thu Dec 16 1993 - 18:38:34 CET

Original text of this message