Re: SQL*NET Please Help!

From: Erik E. Graversen <crieeg_at_halcyon.com>
Date: 15 Dec 1993 16:49:08 -0800

In article <jeff.schwartz.9.000AAD12_at_sandiegoca.ncr.com>, Jeff Schwartz <jeff.schwartz_at_sandiegoca.ncr.com> wrote:
>We recently installed Oracle 7 and SQL*NET doesn't work anymore. When I try
>to connect I get a "ORA-6401: NETCMN: Invalid driver designator." I'm using
>the correct syntax because I can connect to ORACLE 7 on another machine.
>tcpctl stat says everything is ok including the sid. orasrv is setuid root.
>I've run out of ideas. Please help!

You dont say if you are using the exact same client application to access the other oracle7 machine...
Anyway last time I got that message I was trying to use a driver that was not linked into my client (reinstall or tinker with osntab.c) to have the driver included on the client side. Also if the above does not fix your problem you may want to make sure that the servers are configured identically, with ver 7.0 you must also take care to use the correct version of SQL*Net 1.2 or 2.0 (beta?) in both ends (1.2 is using orasrv, 2.0 is using tns_listner)

Just my $0.02
Erik E. Graversen
Bellevue WA USA