Re: Database backup

From: Rich Gaston <rich.gaston_at_applelink.apple.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 1993 02:04:25 GMT

In article <CHHDuz.GzI_at_wm-mercer.ca>, chang_at_wm-mercer.ca (Garry Chan) wrote:

> Hi,
>
> We have a requirement to copy an Oracle database back and forth between 2
> identical machines.

Rather than using the Oracle import/export utility to facilitate the transfer,
> we have simply copied the "dbf" and other Oracle files from one machine to the
> other.
>
> Are there any shortcomings/risks associated with such a scheme ?

Oracle sez you shouldn't do this, but we've been successful with database drag copies from Mac to Mac. Our production system runs under VMS, and there are very few utils which can produce a successful db copy on the VAX in less time than an Oracle export. Usually this is more trouble than it's worth... Received on Thu Dec 16 1993 - 03:04:25 CET

Original text of this message