Re: Is it true FAT is better than HPFS (Oracle OS/2)

From: <hpujol_at_dwp.la.ca.us>
Date: 13 Dec 93 16:17:25 GMT

<wangf_at_interaccess.com> wrote:

> I believe this is true, although I have not done any performance benchmark
> on Oracle. I used to work a lot with SQL Server on OS/2 and Microsoft had
> actually done benchmark test on this. All the result seem to indicate that
> HPFS does not increase database server performance. I think this is because
> Oracle and SQL Server preallocate database files. The FAT causes a lot of
> overhead when dealing with files that are dynamicallyt extended. It is also
> possible that the database server by pass the file systems to some degree.

I would like to use the OS/2 Oracle server as an NFS file server - this requires that use HPFS (to properly handle upper-lower case problems). I'm wondering how much performance will suffer if I use HPFS.

Maybe I'll try my own benchmarks and post the results.

Thanks for your input.

Hector Pujol
L. A. Dept of Water and Power
hpujol_at_dwp.la.ca.us Received on Mon Dec 13 1993 - 17:17:25 CET

Original text of this message