starting Oracle under UnixWare question

From: <raz_at_garfield.freac.fsu.edu>
Date: 10 Dec 1993 03:17:42 GMT

        There's a rather peculiar behavior with starting Oracle 6.0 at boot time as well as shutdown of Oracle during system shutdown.

        The problem is related to ULIMT. I have raised the ULIMIT of the system to 4000000 in order to run Oracle. I did this in the file /etc/default/login.

        The ulimit is set to 4000000 when you logon and you can start the Oracle database by typing dbstart or shut it down by typing dbshut. No problem.

        Now I want the system do this automatically at system boot. So I added a file named /etc/rc2.d/S80start.oracle with the following lines:

        echo '\nStarting ORACLE ....\n'
        su oracle -c /home2/oracle/bin/dbstart

        When the system boots it attempts to launch Oracle but
it can't because the database encounters a file size limit. This is related to ULIMIT. If I log on immediately after the 'System is ready' prompt and run the script /etc/rc2.d/S80start.oracle by hand the database is launched with no problems.

        Obviously the ULIMIT is not raised when the system boots even though I raised the limit in the /etc/default/login file.

        My solution was to change the second line above so the script now looks as follows:

        echo '\nStarting ORACLE ....\n'
        ulimit 4000000;su oracle -c /home2/oracle/bin/dbstart

        This works.

        I also did the same thing for the shutdown script
/etc/rc0.d/K01shutdown.oracle which has the two lines bellow:
        echo '\nShutting down Oracle gracefully....\n'
        ulimit 4000000;/home2/oracle/bin/dbshut -v

        The Oracle 6.0 version that I installed under UnixWare is the same
as the one I installed under SCO Unix. I mean, the same diskettes. The difference is that under SCO Unix I don't need to raise the ULIMIT on the script. All that was necessary was to raise the ULIMIT in the /etc/default/login file.

        My questions is. Is this the way it works under UnixWare or is it a bug? Bug or feature? That's the question.   Received on Fri Dec 10 1993 - 04:17:42 CET

Original text of this message