Re: ORACLE7 errors / Alpha VMS patch

From: Heikki Rissanen <rissahe1_at_news.ougf.fi>
Date: 8 Dec 1993 16:30:14 +0200

pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au wrote:
: In article <1993Dec3.172140.20726_at_icf.hrb.com>, mmm_at_icf.hrb.com (MAX M. MAGLIARO) writes:
: > I am having problems running ORACLE 7.0.13 on an Alpha/AXP with OpenVMS 1.5 .
: > ORACLE randomly aborts with 600 or 602 (access violation or internal
: > exception) errors. I have just discovered that there is a Virtual
: > Memory Mgmt patch to OpenVMS 1.5.
: >
: > From DEC: Many users running ORACLE applications on Alphas experienced this
: > problem. It turned out that the VMS page manager occasionally
: > pulled in the wrong page when it moved pages in and out of
: > a program's virtual space. Since ORACLE is such a page happy,
: > resource-hungry monster, it pages a *lot* and experienced the
: > problem.

: Gee. They make it sound like a bug in Oracle don't they. Well, I guess
: if that darn Oracle software didn't page at all it would work just fine
: on our new Digital/Alpha hardware & software. I sure hope they don't use
: any application software that pages too much at any hospitals that run this
: "VMS page manager" otherwise it could void the warranty of a few patients
: BUT that's the application's fault isn't it 8^}.

   I wouldn't count on that! If it ever goes to court, it may well turn    out to be the patients fault for choosing the wrong hospital.

Regards, Hessu

Heikki Rissanen, United Papermills, Rauma, Finland
Email: heikki.rissanen_at_ra.upm.tietotie.mailnet.fi