Disk striping recommendations wanted

From: Gavin Maltby <maltby_at_shrike.und.ac.za>
Date: 7 Dec 1993 06:27:59 GMT

Hi all,

I am setting up a SparcCenter 2000 with Oracle 7. I am responsible for the technical, and not the database stuff. The machine has 4 2.1Gig drives--- I'd prefer to have seen 6 x 1Gig and 1 x 2.1 Gig, but that is how things are.

I'd like suggestions as to how I could optimally stripe these disks. The machine will be the production server only. Presently I have on,e disk as my root disk (/, /usr, 1st swap area, /export/home, /opt) an additional swap area on ech of the other 3 disks of the same size as the first, and have striped the remaining space on the 3 non-root disks into three equal sizes (about 1.9Gig). The oracle executables live in the first such stripe, and the database is intended to occupy the rest of that and the other two stripes.

There is every chance that that is far from optimal! I would appreciate any advice, as well as any pointers regarding use of raw devices with oracle.

Thanks in advance

Gavin Received on Tue Dec 07 1993 - 07:27:59 CET

Original text of this message