V6 -> V7 migration

From: Cynthia Mumford <cindy_at_dprmpt.UUCP>
Date: 6 Dec 93 16:58:03 GMT

  I have been trying to upgrade an Oracle 6.0.36 test db running under Amdahl/UTS off and on for over a month now, and am having constant problems with the Oracle installer and the migration. Is it just my port, my bad luck, or have others had similar problems with this utility?   The installer fails to copy all needed libraries when installing products. If an install must be repeated ( which I have done SEVERAL times), subsequent installs generate different errors than the first install. Some relinks fail because of undefined symbols, but others using the same libraries succeed. Functions are missing from certian libraries; Oracle maintains that the libraries somehow became corrupt after the tapes left Oracle, causing certain functions to be removed from the library but leaving the rest of the library intact. Hmmmm. Oracle support finally suggested that I abandon trying to install 7.0.12 and sent me a new set of tapes for 7.0.15.   7.0.15 installed smoothly until I got to the "Upgrade existing objects" step of the migration. Unfortunately, I made a mistake -- I cp'd the old versons of the control files instead of mv'ing them. Therefore, the installer gave me a "control file already exists" error when it tried to create the new control files. It provided no option to rename it, merely wrote an error to the log file. After I renamed the control files and tried to start over, the database was un-migratable. Gone. Fini. The errors returned said that the data files were the incorrect versions, and although I worked with Oracle support to try and generate control files, we were unsuccessful. I admit I made a mistake (the crime of the century??), but I find the punishment out of proportion to the crime.   Oracle support has been helpful and they have attempted to resolve the problems. However, the resolution can be summarized "Restore from the Version 6 backup and start over." Working with a 2-disk test db is one thing; a 36-disk production db will be quite an adventure. I'm trying to remain optimistic.
  AAAaaaaargh.

  • Cindy Mumford (301) 622-0900 ext 304 *
  • Internet: cindy_at_dataprompt.com UUCP: ...!uunet!dprmpt!cindy *