Re: ORACLE7 errors / Alpha VMS patch

From: <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 6 Dec 93 13:44:16 +1000

In article <1993Dec3.172140.20726_at_icf.hrb.com>, mmm_at_icf.hrb.com (MAX M. MAGLIARO) writes:
> I am having problems running ORACLE 7.0.13 on an Alpha/AXP with OpenVMS 1.5 .
> ORACLE randomly aborts with 600 or 602 (access violation or internal
> exception) errors. I have just discovered that there is a Virtual
> Memory Mgmt patch to OpenVMS 1.5.
>
> From DEC: Many users running ORACLE applications on Alphas experienced this
> problem. It turned out that the VMS page manager occasionally
> pulled in the wrong page when it moved pages in and out of
> a program's virtual space. Since ORACLE is such a page happy,
> resource-hungry monster, it pages a *lot* and experienced the
> problem.

Gee. They make it sound like a bug in Oracle don't they. Well, I guess if that darn Oracle software didn't page at all it would work just fine on our new Digital/Alpha hardware & software. I sure hope they don't use any application software that pages too much at any hospitals that run this "VMS page manager" otherwise it could void the warranty of a few patients BUT that's the application's fault isn't it 8^}.

--
Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

"If you swallow a live frog first thing in the morning ...
 Nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day."

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of                                      *
*          Health, Housing, Local Government & Community Services *
* Canberra, Australia                             (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *