Database backup

From: Garry Chan <chang_at_wm-mercer.ca>
Date: Fri, 3 Dec 1993 22:44:58 GMT

Hi,

We have a requirement to copy an Oracle database back and forth between 2 identical machines. (They are installed with exactly the same versions of software products i.e. Oracle 6.0.36, SCO Unix 3.2v4.1 and the databases have the exactly same definitions.)

Rather than using the Oracle import/export utility to facilitate the transfer, we have simply copied the "dbf" and other Oracle files from one machine to the other. This method has enabled us to cut 50% off the time it takes to perform the full cycle of export/import.

Are there any shortcomings/risks associated with such a scheme ? What would be the quickest and safest way to do what we're trying to do here ?

Thanks in advance.

Garry

Garry Chan, Systems Consulting, William M. Mercer Limited
Internet: chang_at_wm-mercer.ca
Phone:    +1 416 868-2091