Can't get DBModeler to connect to Oracle database

From: Alvis Harding Jr. <adh_at_alvin.ach.uams.edu>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 1993 22:36:09 GMT

I'm having trouble getting Next's DBModeler (Version 0.7 running on NextStep 3.1 for Intel) to connect to Oracle (Version 6.07 running under SunOS 4.1.3).

I start by selecting 'Model' and then 'New'. I select the 'Oracle Adapter'. I then enter the "Server ID", "Host Machine", "Login id", and "Password". The oracle server name is 'george'. If I use 'george' as the host machine, when I try to connect, the login windows just beeps at me. If I use the IP address of george as the host machine, the login windows disappears for about 5 seconds and then beeps at me. All of the parameters in the login window were entered correctly.

I dumped all of the packets between the server and the NextStep machine and noticed that whenever I used the domain name, the NextStep machine doesn't send any packets to the server in trying to connect to the database. If I use the IP address, I get the following output from 'etherfind'. 'morpheus' is the name of the NextStep machine.

UDP from morpheus.ach.uams.edu.2611 to george.ach.uams.edu.domain 47 bytes UDP from george.ach.uams.edu.domain to morpheus.ach.uams.edu.2611 127 bytes ICMP from morpheus.ach.uams.edu to george.ach.uams.edu dst unreachable bad port   bad packet: UDP from george.ach.uams.edu.domain to morpheus.ach.uams.edu.2611 127 bytes UDP from morpheus.ach.uams.edu.2611 to george.ach.uams.edu.domain 47 bytes UDP from george.ach.uams.edu.domain to morpheus.ach.uams.edu.2611 127 bytes ICMP from morpheus.ach.uams.edu to george.ach.uams.edu dst unreachable bad port   bad packet: UDP from george.ach.uams.edu.domain to morpheus.ach.uams.edu.2611 127 bytes

Why can't I use the domain name to specify the server. NetInfo is set up and 'george' is in the hosts table. Is their a client program that I need to run on the NextStep machine? Why am I getting the bad port responses? Any help is appreciated.

---
Alvis Harding Jr.                                  Arkansas Children's Hospital
adh_at_george.ach.uams.edu                                  Cardiac Imaging Center

"The nice thing about so many standards is that you can choose the one you
want"