Re: Backing Up Rollback Tablespaces

From: Lee Parsons <lparsons_at_exlog.com>
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 93 16:59:56 GMT

In article <1993Nov30.152606.3441_at_newsgate.sps.mot.com> kramer_at_ash.sps.mot.com writes:
>If you never change the definitions you're probably OK.
>But once I tried restoring an entire DB minus rollbacks
>(expecting to use the ones currently defined) and it didn't
>work (support got me up pretty quickly but it was definitely
>a pain).

But she said that this system was being backed up HOT. I don't think she could make this work because in order to bring up the DB she would have to define new RB Segments but the system wouldn't come up because archive logs would need to be applied.

I'll have to test this for a definative answer but right now I suspect she would be hosed.

>My advice is, "If you've got the space, back up the rollbacks!"

Or if you don't make sure you already know and have tested the procedure for restoring a database without them. The night that the system crashes is not the time to be figuring it out. You'll probably be a little busy. :-}

--
Regards,

Lee E. Parsons                  		Baker Hughes Inteq, Inc
Oracle Database Administrator 			lparsons_at_exlog.com