Access to Oracle via SQL*Net

From: B C Zygmunt <bzy_at_ornl.gov>
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 1993 13:28:12 GMT

I've got some users who wrote an application that ties together Oracle, Oracle's Data Browser, ARC/INFO, and SAS. When we were able to use auto-logins, there was no problem. Since we're now operating in a client/ server environment, we can't use auto-logins because of security concerns. Each of the products may be started many times during a session and the programmers do not want the user to have to type in a password each of these times. (They can't just get the password once and then pass it to the programs because it would then show up in the process listing.)

Some one else must have done something like this before, and I'd be very interested in any solutions to the problem. Does any sort of software exist which provides operating system validation so that SQL*Net can then be used?

Thanks.

Beverly Zygmunt
Oak Ridge National Lab Received on Tue Nov 30 1993 - 14:28:12 CET

Original text of this message