Re: Gupta vs. Powerbuilder or VB

From: BIRZNIEKS--GUNTHER <cm325c34_at_nova.umd.edu>
Date: 30 Nov 1993 00:09:40 -0500

In a nutshell, here is why some people I know including myself have adopted PowerBuilder and VB over SQLWindows.

The big advantage of VB Is that it is not a database language, it is primarily a general purpose language. Best of all, BASIC is not really that proprietary (Well VB Is somewhat proprietary but if you already know BASIC it builds on it rapidly).

And also, Microsoft has adopted VB as its generic macro language for all its applications. So it makes sense to pool developer time into VB when possible and when it makes sense..Excel, Word, Access all have or are slated to have VB extensions.

The advantage of PowerBuilder is really similar to VB. The language is really basically a dialact of BASIC of sorts. And I find it very easy to use..I started developing within a few hours of playing around and got a good overview (except reports) from the Getting Start book. .

I have HEARD... (And the only place I can remember that I can actually CITE right now is BYTE MAGAZINE from a few months ago) that SQLWindows has a MUCH higher learning curve for its internal language than PowerBuilder does.

By the way, PowerBuilder can use Visual BASIC VBX controls as well. (Maybe SQLWindows can I Dont know).

I got a Demo of SQL WIndows last year and I was not impressed.. I also saw it demoed at a show once a while ago and was not impressed with some responses I got compared to PowerBuilder. HOWEVER, I hear that SQLWindows has upgraded recently? That should change things.

As for having a built in Version Control system... I am afraid that I agree with PowerBuilder's route more .. They have an "open" (Sortof) API for Version Control and CASE tool vendors to link to their product. I think it is better to have a fully professional version control system from a company that specializes in making it than a half-assed job for application specific stuff.

Also, it lessens developer time to learn 10 million differenct configuration utilities if you standardize on ONE instead of constantly relearning the quirks of individual developer tool configuration managers.

Anyway, I am sure SQLWindows is worth a serious look by any developer... So this isnt meant to talk down GUPTA>. Just stating a few reasons why we went with our platform. By the way, Paradox For Windows 4.5 with the SQL Link is actually quite nice too.. My only complaint is that Queries generate a local answer table instead of a cursor based system like table views are.....

Later,
  Gunther Received on Tue Nov 30 1993 - 06:09:40 CET

Original text of this message