Re: Hot Backups

From: Pekka Nousiainen /DP <peno_at_kps.se>
Date: 30 Nov 93 01:32:58 GMT

>>In fact, I believe nightly exports are mandatory part of any backup/recovery
>>strategy.
>On my last project, exporting only ONE of our tables took 14 hours.

Same here. But anybody with multi-GB db runs it on a multi-cpu machine. We can still export everything in under 20 hours, by keeping the optimum number of exports running at the same time. I do that occasionally on slow weekends, but this is more due to paranoia than any careful policy. For normal operations, cold backups 3 times a week plus archive log is the only alternative.

  • peno_at_kps.se