Re: SQL*Net And User Passwords

From: Dave Mausner <dlm_at_elcky>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1993 20:14:30 GMT

In article <KENT.1.00148AE5_at_wizard.colorado.edu> KENT_at_wizard.colorado.edu (Kent Cearley) writes:

>We are using SQL*Net for client access to an Oracle 7.0 Server running on an
>Alpha. Most of the clients are PC and MAC based, which appears to force us
>into using Oracle for user authentification...question is: how are people
>generally administering this? How can you assign users "temporary" passwords

if you worry about oracle7 security you can create user OPS$x accounts which have no privs to do anything except look at tables. use remote authenication and designate a VMS proxy account for the sqlnet v1 server to use.

under this scheme, the user maintains his own VMS password and nothing else. If the user has no need of vms access, you can even skip the VMS user account.

--
Dave Mausner / Sr Consultant / Datalogics division of Frame Technology Inc