Re: backing up an indexes-only tablespace?

From: Unisys <unisyshk_at_hknet.hk.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Nov 1993 01:42:26 GMT

In article <CH86pC.F62_at_notes.tssi.com> nolan_at_notes.tssi.com (Michael Nolan) writes:
>Here's a question I can't seem to find an answer for in the manuals.
>
>If I create a separate tablespace on a different physical drive just for
>indexes, and I'm doing backups of the physical files (from a shutdown
>database at night), do I need to backup the files for the indexes tablespace?

You obviously do unless in your recovery procedures, you recreate that tablespace and re-create your indecies. This is quite dangerous as you may not be able to do full recovery of the database with one of the tablespaces missing. Remember that the database does not distinguish between any of the tablespaces and has no intelligence to know that your tablespace was only reserved for index records. The same is true of tablespaces reserved for Rollback Segments (benefits are many) and temporary sort area. The only special tablespace in V6/V7 is the SYSTEM tablespace.

Regards,

S. Tedjarati
Unisys Hong Kong and China Limited Received on Mon Nov 29 1993 - 02:42:26 CET

Original text of this message