Re: Rollback Segments

From: <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 26 Nov 93 14:18:10 +1000

In article <2d0ibu$nai_at_snoopy.sra.com>, cohen_at_pni.sra.com (Janine Cohen) writes:
> hello, I am new to using ORACLE V7.0.15 and I have a question about rollback
> segments. I know that each transaction can only write to one rollback
> segment. I have a transaction that delete about 200 megs of information.
> I was wondering if there is any way to get around having a 200 meg rollback
> segment allocated (we don't want to waste so much space if we can help it).

Another way is to hard code your 1000 (or 10,000) row delete chunks rather than using PL/SQL.

If you have some logical breakdown or subsetting of the original tables rows like by postcode or state then you can have a single script containing a delete statement for each postcode or state and commit after each.

Sometimes this is an easier method. Just locate something in your table that would allow 'subset' type processing. Couls even use the first charcater of a surname (or the first two characters) or the month of birth or month of transaction. etc etc etc.

--
Bruce...        pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

"If you swallow a live frog first thing in the morning ...
 Nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day."

* Bruce Pihlamae  --  Database Administration                     *
* Commonwealth Department of                                      *
*          Health, Housing, Local Government & Community Services *
* Canberra, Australia                             (W) 06-289-7056 *
* These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have.        *