Re: Oracle Case Dictionary

From: Heikki Rissanen <rissahe1_at_news.ougf.fi>
Date: 25 Nov 1993 10:05:23 +0200

Jan Heise (jheise_at_ic1d.harris.com) wrote:
: We are looking for anyone with experience using Oracle Case Dictionary 5.0.
: Preferably in a UNIX environment.

 Sorry, I have not used v.5, but I know the older one and I think that  most of this is still valid, though newer must be better than old ones.

 I think that Oracle CASE must be great if one is mostly concerned on  developing applications themselves. Even without the code generators  the documenting process is great and anything like that will be very  difficult to achieve afterwards.

 Unfortunately we are doing only minor developing ourselves and most  larger apps are bought from outside. We try to maintain those as  much as we can and would really need good database documentation, but  CASE doesn't seem to fit that concept well enough:

  • it is rather difficult to try to document existing apps, since most connections are defined at entity-level, but CASE can only import table level definitions so far
  • we cannot really expect the best application builders to use CASE so that we could move the definitions from their database. CASE has it's own jargon that fits ok with Oracle, but most software houses would want to have a possibility to port their products to other dbs's, so I wouldn't expect to see Oracle CASE in many houses as the main CASE tool. And it is quite unthinkable thet we should choose our supplier only from those that use Oracle's CASE.

 I'd like to have a third party tool that could import most CASEs and  would be more oriented to documentation and systems maintaining.  But I haven't found it yet!

Regards, Hessu

Heikki Rissanen, United Papermills, Rauma, Finland
Email: heikki.rissanen_at_ra.upm.tietotie.mailnet.fi