Linking Oracle with a GIS

From: Christopher R Heroux <herouxch_at_caspian.uucp>
Date: 24 Nov 1993 06:47:53 GMT

I am in the process of linking Oracle with ARC/INFO. I'm not an ARC/INFO expert; most likely therein lies the problem. However, I have picked the brain of one of my colleagues who is an expert Arc user, and we have endured as many machinations as the ARC/INFO documentation will allow. ARC/INFO recognizes the database, tables, and table attributes. I can also use dbmsexecute to run in primitive SQL mode. Fine. The problem is we can't do anything useful at this point. We are using the RELATE function to link a column in Oracle to a coverage's feature attribute table. It accepts the relate, but when we execute something like this:

Arcplot: reselect <coverage> polys RELATE_NAME//COLUMN_NAME in value

In churns for a bit, then spits out an error (cannot find feature attribute name). Many variations of this have been tried. I'm not even sure if this is the path we should be exploring. The documentation attempts to cover the panoply of database systems which is good, but unfortunately, does a poor job on each.

This is probably more of an ARC/INFO question than Oracle. So I'll quit here. If anybody has had success linking any database system with ARC/INFO, your input and expertise would be appreciated. By the way, we're running on a Sun OS platform.

Thanks much,

Please respond via e-mail ( Chris Heroux herouxch_at_atlantic.cps.msu.edu ) Received on Wed Nov 24 1993 - 07:47:53 CET

Original text of this message