Forms V4: How to order a base table by non base column

From: David Owens <daveo_at_hpwala.wal.hp.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 1993 23:25:59 GMT

Friends,

After a week a frenzied effort building forms, I've become stumped.

I'd like to order a base table for presentation by a column that is not found in the base table but can be joined easily w/ SQL statements. For example, I would like to order the ITEMS base table by the product name field. This can be done in SQL by:

	select s_item.item_id, s_product.name, s_item.product_id, s_item.price
	from s_item, s_product
	where s_item.product_id = s_product.id
	order by s_product.name

It is possible to use this as the default select statement (ON-SELECT) for the base table and include s_product.name as a base table field? After toying with this idea, I could not get Forms V4 to execute my base table query although it runs in SQL fine.

So, how do I do this in Forms V4? The other way I've come up with is outlined in Oracle tech bulletin 102187.08 but this requires mucking with the database and creating views. I'd like to do this all on the client (Forms) side if possible. Does anyone know how?

Thanks in advance for any replies,

David Owens                             Hewlett-Packard
 daveo_at_hpwala.wal.hp.com                Clinical Information Systems
 HP-Desk: David OWENS / HP1700/03       3000 Minuteman Road
 (508) 659-4861                         Andover MA  USA
  FAX: (508) 686-1258                   TN 659-4861