Sybase vs Oracle Reporting Tools?

From: Mike Oswald <moswald_at_cwis.unomaha.edu>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1993 05:31:58 GMT

I would like to know if anyone, knowing Sybase & Oracle, could describe for me how the two products differ in the way they create, populate, and retrieve information from tables.

For example: In Oracle you would CREATE TABLE/VIEW <table/view name> AS...

				  INSERT INTO <table/view name> VALUES...
				  DELETE <table/view name> WHERE ...
				  UPDATE <table/view name> SET .. WHERE ...

For SQL*Plus in Oracle you might SELECT <field_names> FROM ... and also provide COLUMN contraints, BREAK ON, etc...

How are each of these implemented in Sybase? How much retooling do I have to go through in order to accomplish the same things in Sybase as I did in Oracle? I am currently working in a IBM VM mainframe (blockmode :-() shop but might have an opportunity to provide a company some direction when they purchase Sybase (on a Sequent - Unix flavor???) in the next couple of weeks.

Mike Oswald                        _               o
Univ. Of NE Medical Center       ___\o_    __o    <|\
Computing Services/Telecomm      ~~~~~~  _ \<_     \
600 S. 42nd ST.                         (_)/(_)    /
Omaha NE 69198-5030 Received on Sat Nov 20 1993 - 06:31:58 CET

Original text of this message