Re: Oracle7 on Solaris - Experiences ?

From: Stephane Hamel <shamel_at_tdsb-s.mais.hydro.qc.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 1993 13:58:55 GMT

Somnath Mishra (sm46_at_prism.gatech.EDU) wrote:

: Hi Nettors !
: We are going to install Oracle7 on our Sun SPARC10
: which will run Solaris 2.2 ( to be upgraded to 2.3 soon). We thought
: it might be interesting to see how other users feel about managing their
: Oracle7 systems on Solaris 2.X.
: Please post the responses to comp.databases.oracle
: for benefit of all interested users.

: Thanks in advance !

: Somnath Mishra

We have successfully ported our environment from SunOS 4.1.3/Oracle 6.0.33 to Solaris 2.2 and Oracle 7.0.13. Althought we found some problems, they were mainly "exploited" bugs in Oracle V6... The speed increase in noticable since both Solaris and Oracle V7 offer enhanced performance.

However, take note that an Oracle representative told us NOT to go in production with Oracle 7.0.13 cause some bugs have been found that might corrupt the database integrity. Be sure to get version 7.0.15 (shipping now) or even better, 7.1, which is also due soon. From what I read (mainly from NetNews), Solaris 2.3 will also fix almost all bugs from 2.2. However, again, OpenWin on Solaris 2.3 will no longer contain SunNews system, both rather respect the long awaited X11R5 standard. Which mean we might see

 bugs in this version of OpenWin...

---
 Stephane Hamel, Sysadmin/DBA *.mais.hydro.qc.ca
 Hydro-Quebec TDSB, Montreal, Quebec
 E-mail: shamel_at_mais.hydro.qc.ca  Voice: (514) 858-7004