Re: can i move a tablespace to another drive?

From: Dave Erwin <erwin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 93 15:49:00 GMT

In article <2ceid0$nms_at_panix.com>, gsa_at_panix.com (Gary Assa) wrote:

> I am getting write errors on a SCSI disk and would like to move my 150mb
> tablespace to another drive in V6 under Unix 3.2v4. Can I just mv it and
> then update the SYS.dba_files table (or whatever it is called) to point
> to the new location, or is there a more complicated thing I must do???

Use the following procedure to copy the file $ sqldba
SQLDBA> shutdown normal
SQLDBA> exit
$ cp /old_drive/database_file.dbf /new_drive/database_file.dbf

After you have successfully copied the file to its new location you can remove the original one.

Next you need to tell Oracle that the file is in a new location.

$ sqldba

SQLDBA> startup mount
SQLDBA> connect internal
SQLDBA> alter database rename '/old_drive/database_file.dbf' to
'/new_drive/database_file.dbf';
SQLDBA> alter database open
SQLDBA>exit

Dave Erwin
Lockheed Missiles & Space Company
Email: erwin_at_lmsc.lockheed.com Received on Thu Nov 18 1993 - 16:49:00 CET

Original text of this message