Re: can i move a tablespace to another drive?

From: John Morgan <John_Morgan_at_OIT.PeachNet.EDU>
Date: 18 Nov 1993 16:38:53 GMT

In article <2ceid0$nms_at_panix.com> Gary Assa, gsa_at_panix.com writes:
>I am getting write errors on a SCSI disk and would like to move my 150mb
>tablespace to another drive in V6 under Unix 3.2v4. Can I just mv it and
>then update the SYS.dba_files table (or whatever it is called) to point
>to the new location, or is there a more complicated thing I must do???

Yes...first, (if possible) I would take the database to dba mode AND take the tablespace off line. Next, exit Oracle and physically move the file (perhaps, copy would be better, just to make certain things go OK). Finally, go back into Oracle and enter:
ALTER TABLESPACE name RENAME DATAFILE 'old name' TO 'new name';

Bring the tablespace back on line...that's it! Received on Thu Nov 18 1993 - 17:38:53 CET

Original text of this message