Re: SQLNET authorization question

From: Heikki Rissanen <rissahe1_at_news.ougf.fi>
Date: 18 Nov 1993 09:26:02 +0200

jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com wrote:
: > How does this work if I'm connecting from a PC which obviously
: > doesn't have the concept of a username? When I connect (say over

: You can also set up a DECnet object to map users to a default account, say
: SQLNET. You would use NCP to create the DECnet object. I don't remember the
: syntax of the command, but it basically tells DECnet the username, password,
: and command procedure to execute when someone invokes that object.

  We are using SQLNET over Decnet and all our PC-users have same VMSaccount,    which is defined in the CONFIG.ORA-file with it's password.   Users don't need to know the username and that account allways starts   Oracle server process so that the first thing they notice is the   prompt for Oracle userid and password. The VMS-account can be secured   so that there is no other ways to use it, eg. interactively, so it   doesn't matter that the password is visible in the PC-file.

  If you have large batch reports you might want to create a different   VMS-account or task for them running at lower priority, since the   server does not know where the client is in batch mode or not. This   is same between two Vaxes.

  Regards, Hessu

Heikki Rissanen, United Papermills, Rauma, Finland
Email: heikki.rissanen_at_ra.upm.tietotie.mailnet.fi