image databases

From: Roger Mathisen <rogerm_at_rosa.nbr.no>
Date: 15 Nov 1993 09:35:09 GMT

         Need information on large image databases.

I am writing a research report on retrival, storage and transfer of large image collections, and need examples of systems implemented to hold such collections. My main interest is in systems holding more than 100 000 records, where each record contains an image field in the range 10Kb - 1Mb, but any comments on the subject is of interest.

Some issues are.

  1. The hardware and software plattform on which the system is based.
  2. What information the system holds and the amount stored.
  3. The average and maximum concurrent users of the system.
  4. The performance of the system. Retrieval rates. How an increasing nuber of records have affected the performance.
  5. Expected upper limit of the system, are there any ways of expanding the system.

If possible please e-mail answers to:
roger_at_benoni.nbr.no or rogerm_at_rosa.nbr.no.

Thanks in advance.
Roger Mahtisen, The National Library of Norway (NBR).   Received on Mon Nov 15 1993 - 10:35:09 CET

Original text of this message