Re: Shared versions of the libraries supplied w

From: Ari Suutari <ari_at_tahko.lpr.carel.fi>
Date: 11 Nov 1993 22:35:44 +0200

kramer_at_ash.sps.mot.com (Jim Kramer) writes:

>I asked the same question for an Alpha platform.
>The response was, "We think shared libraries are
>too slow [at startup]." As far as I know they only
>deliver "ar" libraries.

> Jim Kramer
> Motorola

	I created shared libraries for Alpha OSF/1 myself and everything
	seems to work okay. We have also self-linked shared libraries on
	AIX platform without any problems.

	I have been wondering why Oracle don't provide shared libraries
	with product since rest of the operating system uses them
	without any problems. At least on Alpha OSF/1 shared libraries
	linked with "Quickstart" should be fast even at startup.

	Shared libraries also really speed up application development since
	program link time is reduced from minutes to 2-3 seconds.

		Ari

		PS. I can post/mail the shared library link script for
		    Alpha OSF/1 if anyone is interested.
--
	Ari Suutari			ari_at_hilti.lpr.carel.fi
	Carelcomp Oy