Problem Oracle 6 on DG

From: STOCKHOLDING CORPORATION OF INDIA LTD. <hemant_at_shakti.ncst.ernet.in>
Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1993 14:57:52 GMT

On a DG Aviion 5225 machine with a very large database :

(implementing Oracle 6.0.33.2.1 on DG/UX 5.4.2)

We recently had a series of problems :

ORA-1114 IO error writing blocks of file Following DBWR terminated with error and the instance shut down

(Database not in archive-log mode)

Instance startup kept failing because of : ORA-1115 IO error reading blocks from file 'XXXXX' block #1064134 ORA-7371 sfrfb : lseek error, unable to seek to requested block #1064134 88open UNIX System V error 22 : Invalid argument. Additional information

                            : 1064134
(Obviously it was attempting to re-apply transactions during the instance recovery).

The local DG support told us that DG/UX implementation (following POSIX

  • was it 1003.1 ? --) did not allow files beyond 2GB.

Somebody else told us that it was an 88open restriction -- not POSIX.

We concluded that the 32-bit implementation used a sign-bit and allowed access to 31-bits == 2GB.

The curious thing was that the Tablespace Creation with this particular data file (on a Raw Device) had succeeded with a Data-File size of 3024MB ! 88open had not cribbed when Oracle created a 2GB+ file !

We have since exported the data, recreated the Tablespace with files not exceeding 2GB.

The questions now are :
1. If we move to a 64-bit machine, with a 64-bit OS will be be allowed large files (what size ?) (Can we get a TRUE 64-bit OS ?) 2. Would it be necessary to have a "64-bit port" of Oracle on that machine ? 3. What are the maximum number of data-files (not the 255 of the DBA Guide but the actual for the particular port) on different Unixes ?

I am particularly interested in the following machines :

	88K Aviion DG/UX 5.4.2
	Aviion 8500
	Pyramid MISServer DC/OSx
	Pyramid NileServer DC/OSx