Re: Case-insensitivity

From: <hazledine_at_embl-heidelberg.de>
Date: 10 Nov 93 13:08:51 +0100

utopia_at_netcom.com (Utopia Information Systems) writes:

> We are trying to do case insensitive searches utilizing indexes without
> forcing our data into upper or lower case, using Oracle ...

To the best of my knowledge (and I hope someone can correct me!) this isn't possible. If you want to perform indexed case-insensitive searches you'll have to store an additional version of the data in a single case and build the index on that version.

Which can at least be 100% automated with ORACLE Version 7 via triggers (with previous versions you had to maintain the single case copy of the data via the application software).

David Hazledine                                                EMBL Data Library
Database Administrator                                                PF 10.2209
EMBL Data Library                                      69012 Heidelberg, Germany

Internet: Hazledine_at_EMBL-Heidelberg.DE