Re: fixed point, floating point

From: Mark Smotherman <mark_at_hubcap.clemson.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1993 21:57:24 GMT

davidsen_at_sixhub.tmr.com (Bill Davidsen) writes:

>Fixed point: is rarely used, many people think it means the same

> as integer. A fixed point number has a fixed number of
> bits for the value greater then one, like an integer,
> and also some bits which represent a fractional part.
I agree in general, but please note that some machines are described as having a fixed-point unit, i.e., the unit in which the integer
operations are performed. The FXU of the IBM RS/6000 is a case in point.
--
Mark Smotherman, CS Dept., Clemson University, Clemson, SC 29634-1906
  (803) 656-5878,  mark_at_cs.clemson.edu  or  mark_at_hubcap.clemson.edu