Re: Question on orasrv

From: Graeme Sargent <graeme_at_pyra.co.uk>
Date: Mon, 8 Nov 1993 12:13:25 GMT

In <RWESSMAN.93Oct28145021_at_rwessman.us.oracle.com> rwessman_at_rwessman.us.oracle.com (Rick Wessman) writes:

>The problem is that on UNIX boxes, "shutdown abort" doesn't really kill
>the oracle shadow processes. Instead, it just removes the semaphores and
>relies on the processes dying when they try to latch a
>resource. However, the background processes do exit.

>So, until the process attempts a latching operation it is free to do
>operations on behalf of the user.

[ stuff deleted ]

> Newsgroups: comp.databases.oracle
> From: todd_at_storm01.aadt.com (Todd Richmond)
> Sender: todd_at_storm01 (Todd Richmond)
> Date: Thu, 28 Oct 1993 18:49:15 GMT

> Hello Oracle DBAs,

> Can someone explain the following (HPUX 9.0, Oracle 7.0.12):

> In one window I run sqldba. In another window I run sqlplus.
> In sqlplus I type a query like "select * from sch_dops_sofl"
> I get data as expected. OK

> Then I type "shutdown abort" in sqldba.
> I get ORACLE instance shutdown. OK

> Then I type another query like "select * from sch_ft_trans".
> I get data !! How is this possible?

I would have expected this query to require a latching operation. Unless the whole table is already in the cache, surely Oracle would need to acquire at least one latch in order to read data into a DB_BLOCK_BUFFER. Or are you saying that this behaviour depends on sch_ft_trans being 100% cached?

graeme

--
Disclaimer:	The author's opinions are his own, and not necessarily
		those of Pyramid Technology Ltd. or Pyramid Technology Inc.