sqlmenu50 alternatives for large app

From: Joe Minnich <jminnich_at_bugaboo.ssnet.com>
Date: 6 Nov 1993 19:17:43 GMT

Currently do system admin/dba work for very large V6 application which uses sqlmenu50/sqlform30 products. Approximately 400 tables.

The applicatation is running client/server dos - unix (yeeekkks).

The main menu of the application is so darn big it cannot be modified further on the dos platform. We are now running into memory problems when adding new applications to sqlmenu. This application IMHO does not belong in a dos (client) environment. You guessed it - a political issue. The end result is a mess with all kinds of memory problems.

For instance - user logs in, moves around to several screens and boom - stack dump +1 a orphan shadow task. This is not good ! Oracle how acknowledged that there is a memory leak which is supposed to be fixed :) :)

However - having this large menu loaded every time a user logs in is not helping things at all. Would be interested in what others have experienced in this area. Does any one know just what sqlmenu does with its application menu ? It automatically seems to add new applications on to the main application menu. Does this all get loaded into memory. It also seems to through each new application on the top of the main menu ? I suspect this can be doctored though the menu database tables.

The one nice plus with using sqlmenu is the ability to maintain one session login with the application. One solution i know of is to trash sqlmenu and develope a menu system with forms, database. We used to do this is the old days.

This whole memory problem on dos is ftrustrating. PC's are running straight DOS with 8M ram. Anyone using a similar configuration ?

Any comments/feedback is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

joseph r minnich	jminnich_at_bugaboo.ssnet.com
724 millcreek lane	home: (302)322-6244
bear delaware 19701	work: (302)368-8982