sql*net authentication via tcp/ip on vax/vms

From: Frank Newman <fnewman_at_bdmserver.mcl.bdm.com>
Date: 5 Nov 1993 09:20:46 -0500

We recently switched from sql*net for decnet to sql*net for tcp/ip, in both cases using a vax/vms host as the server. Previously, using sql*net for tcp/ip, the operating system (and, optionally, the oracle database if you did not use ops$ oracle user accounts) performed username/password authentication. Using sql*net for tcp/ip, we have discovered that only oracle username/password authentication is performed. This seems to be related to oracle's use of port 1525, which is only attached to the oracle server process and not to any vms authentication routine. We would like to continue using operating system level authentication for security and auditing reasons. Has anyone attempted a fix for this problem? Thanks.

fnewman _at_mcl.bdm.com Received on Fri Nov 05 1993 - 15:20:46 CET

Original text of this message