Re: HELP: SQL query using condition LIKE

From: Liang Lin <llin_at_med.umich.edu>
Date: 4 Nov 1993 18:45:59 GMT

Thanks to everyone who tried to help me and all your suggestions have been very helpful.

However, the cause of the problem was quite unexpected and interesting. The column I searched on was a char type, which fills in blanks to the column width, so I think the index was based on the string value plus the spaces. After I changed it to varchar2, the search time between Select...LIKE 'ABC%' and Select...='ABC' was not noticeable.

Since I am just learning to be a DBA, I am sure I have missed other things in tuning up our database and I am sure I will be back!

Again, thank you all.

Liang Lin
Internal Medicine Network Service
University of Michigan Medical Center Received on Thu Nov 04 1993 - 19:45:59 CET

Original text of this message