Question about moving/configuring from a dos-based single user based system to multiuser system

From: Rajeev K. Saraf <sarafrk_at_vuse.vanderbilt.edu>
Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1993 18:50:28 GMT

Hello ORAUSERS,

        I have a question about moving my ms-dos (local database/single user) oracle-based application to a client/server system or configuring it to so that remote users can access it. The choice between the two will depend on the cost involved. Here are the details: We have around 10 to 12 users who would like to have access to this application. But this application was designed for a single user and hence has no explicit locking in there. Now I believe, remote users can access this database thru sql*net over LAN/WAN or telephony. ( I am not very sure about it). This is where I need information on how to do this and what is involved in achieving this goal? We can have a dedicated pc acting as a server to provide access to remote users. Please also let me know what other pieces of software to make it work.

        The other option I think I have is to set up a client server system. But I am not sure if that would require changes to the application in order to ensure concurreny control and data integrity by providing locking. Or, kernel will take care of that? Please let me know about views and ideas on this issue. Any other pointer would also be appreciated.

Rajeev Saraf
sarafrk_at_vuse.vanderbilt.edu
Nashville, TN