Re: oracle shadow processes and sqlnet

From: <pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au>
Date: 15 Oct 93 13:36:21 +1000

In article <29ie6u$fl8_at_marlin.ssnet.com>, jminnich_at_bugaboo.ssnet.com (Joe Minnich) writes:
> We are currently experiencing problems with out Oracle SQLNet listener
> shadow tasks handing around when a user abends from SQLForms. I would
> be very interested if anyone has experienced this problem. It would
> also be very helpfull to know what platform you have experienced this
> problem on. You may email be directly if you would like or reply to the
> post.

Yes. We've had this happen for our client/server P/Windows3.1 to VAX/VMS connections.

The biggest problem being that the server side process hangs around and locks the database files in some way and prevents us from stopping/starting the database during our nightly backups. We have a killer routine that looks for processes that are locking files but for some reason it can't detect the sql*net serever process locks. To get around this we changed the sql*net ORDNxx.COM files so that once they start they first change their process name to be ORA_databasename_processid. We then adjusted our killer routine to look for processes named in this way. Now it works fine.

 --

Bruce... pihlab_at_cbr.hhcs.gov.au

"If you swallow a live frog first thing in the morning ...  Nothing worse will happen to either of you for the rest of the day."

  • Bruce Pihlamae -- Database Administration *
  • Commonwealth Department of Health, Housing & Community Services *
  • Canberra, Australia (W) 06-289-7056 *
  • These are my own thoughts and opinions, few that I have. *