archivelog mode question - size of logs?

From: <kaz_at_sis.bms.com>
Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1993 19:11:36 GMT

We've recently turned on archivelog mode for one of our instances, but had to turn it off, due to the amount of archive log files being generated. During our normal prime-time hours, we were generating between 125Mb and 325Mb of offline redo logs per hour.

The total space in use by this instance is about 3.5 Gb, so the amount of redo logs being generated seems extremely high. I realize that this depends heavily on how active the database is, but it still sounds too high for us.

My questions are: Do other people run into a similar situation when running in archivelog mode? If so, how do you handle the large volume of data - lots of disk space, archive directly to tape? If not, any ideas what's going on here?

Some information about our configuration:

RDBMS: v6.0.37.0
OS: VMS v5.5-1
There are 4 redo logs, each 25M in size. Some related parameters:

NAME                                TYPE    VALUE

db_block_size integer 2048 log_allocation integer 10050 log_archive_buffer_size integer 127 log_archive_buffers integer 4 log_blocks_during_backup boolean TRUE log_buffer integer 32768 log_buffers_debug boolean FALSE log_checkpoint_interval integer 1000000 log_entry_prebuild_threshold integer 0 log_files integer 255 log_io_size integer 0
log_simultaneous_copies integer 2 log_small_entry_max_size integer 800

Joe Kazimierczyk
kaz_at_bms.com Received on Thu Oct 14 1993 - 20:11:36 CET

Original text of this message