Re: [Q}: When to create a new database?

From: <jl34778_at_corp02.d51.lilly.com>
Date: 13 Oct 93 19:32:52 EST

In article <1993Oct13.043948.3693_at_bMD.com>, Neil Greene <neil_at_bMD.com> writes:
> When is it best to create new databases?
>
> I can see possibly have a development and a production database. But what
> do others consider a reason for a new database???

We generally set up the following databases:

PROD - for production applications
TEST - for stress testing, client acceptance testing, fixing problems in

       PROD applications
DEV - for development
REG - regression testing (don't ask me where the word 'regression' came from.

       We use this database to test applications against new release of the
       software. It runs under a different code tree than PROD, TEST, and REG.

Some areas also seem to want a training instance, but we haven't done that yet. Some applications ask for their own instance so that it can be tuned for them. So far, we've been able to hold them off.

--
Bob Swisshelm                | swisshelm_at_Lilly.com     | 317 276 5472
Eli Lilly and Company        | Lilly Corporate Center  | Indianapolis, IN 46285