Request: DBA tools

From: Stephane Hamel <shamel_at_tdsb-s.mais.hydro.qc.ca>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 20:15:14 GMT

We have about 120 tables and several instances distributed all over the country.What I'm looking for is a product that:

  1. analyze the state of tables (average row length, number of records etc..) (I know that Oracle V7 ANALYZE TABLE COMPUTE STATISTICS would do it)
  2. suggest values for re-creating tables with optimal STORAGE clauses (same for tablespace, index and so-on)
  3. forecast optimal values for future growth (for example, optimal values if I have 100000 record today are XXX, if I grow to 500000 they would be YYY)
    • The product could be shareware or comercial, no price range limit...
    • The product should have a decent user interface (ideally GUI).

I know Oracle CASE would do most of it, but I don't use it here and I don't want all the overhead of Oracle CASE just to calculte those values.

I started creating such a tool (mainly for TABLES) but I suspect something should already be available on the market.

---
 Stephane Hamel, Sysadmin/DBA *.mais.hydro.qc.ca
 Hydro-Quebec TDSB, Montreal, Quebec
 E-mail: shamel_at_mais.hydro.qc.ca  Voice: (514) 858-7004