Re: HELP - TRIGGERS !?!

From: Ray Chance <rchance_at_netcom.com>
Date: Wed, 13 Oct 1993 14:57:54 GMT

John Crupi (jcrupi_at_mystech.mystech.com) wrote:
: I want a SEQUENCE to update a field using a trigger
: each time a new record is inserted. I've already
: created the SEQUENCE, but I can't seem to correctly
: create thr TRIGGER. Help.

: jcrupi_at_mystech.com

If you don't care about "wasting" sequence numbers, you can put the sequence in the default value. However, you'll get a seq every time the screen comes up, regardless of whether or not the record is committed. You could also use an "on-new-field-instance", but then again, you're wasting sequence numbers. Pretty much the best bet is in your pre-insert trigger for the block, but you need to set the field attributes to non-required; assuming your sequence is part of the primary key (and required in the table), you're *usually* ok. Received on Wed Oct 13 1993 - 15:57:54 CET

Original text of this message